10/29/2013

A quarter of an hour before the Blessed Sacrament

The following meditation or consideration, a quarter of an hour before the Blessed Sacrament,  originates from Saint Saint Anthony Mary Claret, it serves very well as Thanksgiving after Holy Communion or for visit of the Blessed Sacrament or any other time.



In order to please Me, it is not necessary to know much; all what is required is to love Me much. Speak simple with Me, as if you would talk with an intimate friend.
Do you desire to ask me for some favor for somebody?
Tell me his name and tell me then, what you want that I do for him. Ask for much! Do not hesitate to ask. Speak also to Me of the poor you wish to comfort; of the sick, that you see suffering; of those who are far away from the right path and for whom you wish, that they come to the right path. Say for all at least one word.
And for yourself, do you desire any particular grace?
Tell me openly, that you are perhaps prideful, selfish, neglectful… and ask Me to help you in your few or many efforts which you do in order to be liberated from them. Blush not! There are many just, many saints in heaven, who had the exactly the same failings. But they asked humbly … and they saw themselves free from them bit by bit. And don’t hesitate to ask for health as well as to ask for a happily issuance of your works, affairs or studies. I can give all this to you, and I give it to you. And I desire that you ask for it, insomuch as it is not directed against your sanctification, but insomuch as it promotes and supports your sanctification. And what do you need particularly, today? What can I do for you? If you only knew, how much I desire to help you.
Do you any plan in your mind?
Tell me your plan. What is occupying your mind? What do you think? What can do for your brother, for your sister, for your friends, for your family, for your superiors? What would you like, that I do for them. And what’s about things, which concerns Myself: Do you not have the desire, that I be glorified? Would you not like to be able, to do some good for your friends, the friends which you perhaps love very much, but which perhaps live a life without any thought of Me. Tell me: What excites your attention particularly today? What do you desire most eagerly? Which means will you use, in order that you attain those things you desire? Tell me, if you are unsuccessful in your undertakings, and I will tell you the reasons for your failures. Would you like to win Me for yourself?
Do you feel as if you are in a sad or bad mood?
Tell me with all details; what makes you sad. Who did hurt you? Who offended your self-love? Who despised you? Convey all things to Me and soon you will come so far, telling Me that you forgive all and forget all, according to my example. As reward you will receive my consoling blessing. Do you have fear, perhaps? Do you feel in your soul that undetermined melancholy, which is causeless, but which nevertheless does not cease to break your heart? Throw yourself in the hands of my Providence. I am with you, at your side. I see everything, I hear everything, and do not abandon you, not for a moment. Do you experience aversion from people, who liked you before, and who leave you alone without any reason? Pray for them, and I will bring them back at your side, insomuch as they don’t become an impediment for your sanctification.
Have you not to convey to Me, perhaps some joy which you experienced?
Why do you not want that participate in it, since I am your friend? Tell me, what did console your heart and did move you to smile since your last with me? Perhaps you experienced pleasurable surprises; perhaps you received pleasant news, a letter, a sign of sympathy; perhaps you overcame a difficulty, you got out of an impasse. This all is my work. You should simply say to me: Thank you, my Father.
Would you not like to promise Me something?
I read in the depth of your heart. One can deceive men, but not God. Speak also to Me absolutely sincere. Are you absolutely determined not to expose yourself to that Occasion of sin, to set the Object aside, which is a harm to yourself, not to read that book anymore, which excited your imagination, not to associate with that person, who disturbs the peace of your soul? Will you be, meek, kind and pleasing to those people again, whom you regarded until today as an enemy, because he failed against you? Well, go now back and resume your usual occupation. Go back to your work, family, or studies. But don’t forget the quarter of an hour, which we both did spend together. Keep so much as you can silence, modesty, interior recollection, and charity to your neighbor.
Love my Mother, who is also your mother.
And come again with a heart, which is still more filled of love and still more devoted to my spirit. Then you will find every day in my heart new beneficence and new consolations.
__________________
The previous text originates text originates from the writings of Saint Anthony Mary Claret. The Saint uses the personal form of a conversation between Jesus Christ and the soul. St. Anthony Mary Claret was born in Spain, of pious and respectable parents. As a youth he practiced the weaver trade, but later became a priest. After some time in the parochial ministry, he went to Rom, hoping that the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith would send him to the foreign missions. But God disposed otherwise, and he returned to Spain, where he traveled throughout Catalonia and the Canary Islands as an apostolic missionary. Besides writing many worthwhile books, he founded the Congregation of the Sons of the Immaculate Heart of Mary. Having been appointed Archbishop of Santiago in Cuba, he was conspicuous for the virtues of a zealous shepherd. He restored the seminary, promoted the teaching and the discipline of the clergy, started projects for social welfare, and founded the Teaching Sisters of Mary Immaculate for the Christian education of girls. At length, having been summoned to Madrid to become the confessor to the Queen of Spain and her advisor in the most serious affairs of the Church, he gave an outstanding example of austerity and of all the virtues. At the Vatican Council he strenuously defended the Infallibility of the Pope. He was responsible for a remarkable spread of the devotion to the Blessed Sacrament and to the Immaculate Heart of Mary and her Rosary. He died in 1870. Renowned for his miracles, he was beatified by pope Pius XI and canonized by Pius XII.